AB de Villiers Fastest ODI 100 On 31 Balls Highlights
South African cricketer AB de Villiers slams fastest ODI 100 just on 31 balls against West Indies in 2nd ODI played at Wanderers, Johannesburg. He scored 149 on 44 balls with 9 fours and 16 sixes. De Villiers in particular was a joy to watch as he tore the bowling to shreads. In the last ten overs, South Africa smashed 163 runs. De Villiers moved across the stumps, swept, scooped, made room, lofted; he did anything and everything to maul the bowling attack.
South Africa scored a mammoth 439 for two in their fifty overs. It was an innings that saw numerous records being broken, personal milestones achieved. It was a blitz as South Africa went on piling the runs at the Wanderers. It was a tough day in the office for the statisticians as the records kept tumbling one after the other.
- This is the first time where three batsmen have scored a century in an innings in an ODI. On 117 occasions, there have been instances of two batsmen scoring a ton in an innings.
- This is now South Africaâ€™s highest ODI score. They went past their 438 for nine against Australia during the famous run-chase at the same ground in 2006.
- This is the highest ODI score against a Test playing nation. Sri Lankaâ€™s 443 had come against Netherlands in 2006.
- Hashim Amla has also got his highest score in ODIs. His previous best was 150 against England at Southampton in 2012.
- Rilee Rossouw scored his first ODI ton. In 11 matches so far, he has five ducks, one century and a fifty.
- Amla and Rossouwâ€™s partnership of 247 is the highest for for South Africa in ODIs for the first wicket.
- De Villiers is now the record holder for the fastest fifty in ODIs. He got there in 16 balls. The previous record was by Sanath Jayasuriya, who got it off 17 balls against Pakistan in 1996.
- De Villiers completed his ton off 31 balls to record the fastest century in ODIs. He beat Corey Andersonâ€™s record, who achieved it in 36 balls against West Indies on New Yearâ€™s Day 2014.
- De Villiers now has the fastest fifty across formats in international cricket. It is also the fastest century in List A cricket overall. The fastest century in representative cricket is Chris Gayleâ€™s ton in 30 balls during the mammoth 175 not out in the Indian Premier League (IPL) 2013.
- De Villiers hit 16 sixes in his innings of 149. He levelled with Rohit Sharma, who hit 16 sixes during his innings of 209 against Australia in Bangalore in 2013.
- When de Villiers was dismissed with the score on 439, it was a unique situation for one-day cricket. It is the highest score at which the second wicket has fallen in an ODI innings.
- Jerome Taylor conceded the most runs for the West Indies in an ODI. He gave away 95 runs in his 10 overs. The next on the list is skipper Jason Holder, who went for 91 runs in his nine overs today.