Sajay Dutt jailed

Current Affairs, Analysis, Latest news etc
cuterimza
Initiator
Initiator

Sajay Dutt jailed

Post by cuterimza » Aug 01, 2007 Views: 1833

Sanjay Dutt's prayer since 1993!

Mumbai: Imprisonment or freedom? The answer must be troubling Sanjay Dutt, convicted of acquiring illegal weapons from gangsters linked with the 1993 serial blasts in Mumbai, as he appears before a court in Mumbai on Tuesday.

“I am a human being. I can only wish to be free, and it is with that hope that I will go to court,â€ÂÂ￾ Dutt had said in November 2006. His fears and hopes have not changed eight months later. Dutt was then waiting to be convicted; now he is waiting to be sentenced.

Dutt’s life has seen as many ups and downs, just like as a Bollywood masala film, after 1993. Arrested under TADA, he spent 16 months behind bars. It was an experience he is unlikely to forget. "I was put in solitary confinement, and I used to play with the ants," he said in 1995 while recalling his experience.

All this while his friends, family and the film industry rallied behind. Actor Shah Rukh Khan, while speaking in 1993, said this about Dutt: "I don't think he is the kind of guy who would do this I know him well and I am here in his support.â€ÂÂ￾

Dutt’s prayers finally paid off and he was absolved of the charged of terrorism in November 2006. Dutt has since then won millions of new fans with his blockbuster film Lage Raho Munnabhai.

Dutt played a goon-turned Gandhian in the filmâ€â€Â￾a role which impressed people around the world.

Dutt, 48, has been cleared of conspiracy in the serial blasts that killed 257 people, but found guilty of unauthorised possession of an AK-56 rifle and a pistol. Dutt's punishment carries a maximum sentence of 10 years and fines, but he could appeal.

His lawyers have urged that the actor be set free for his good behaviour during his bail. The actor has been on bail since 1995 after more than a year in prison during initial investigations into the blasts.

Options for Sanjay Dutt

Under the Arms Act the actor could face a minimum sentence of five years in prison.

Of which he has already spent 16 months as an under trial.

If he is sentenced to prison, he can immediately apply for a bail in the Supreme Court.

Alternately, the court may decide to let the actor off for good behaviour.

But he may be put on probation.

BREAKING NEWS:Sanjay Dutt jailed for 6 years

Return to “Current Affairs”