Saif: I want to be better than Rani

Spicy news and gossips point from around the world of hollywood, bollywood and other showbiz news from all around
ar
Ultimate Contributor
Ultimate Contributor

Saif: I want to be better than Rani

Post by ar » Apr 27, 2007 Views: 13510

'I want to be better than Rani'
He just gets better with age. Saif Ali Khan has come a long way from his khiladi days. His days of playing second fiddle to another actor is over.

His performance has just got better with his recent role in Omkara, garnering critical acclaim.

But, for this boyish actor, keeping it simple is what counts. Here, he talks about his latest film Ta Ra Rum Pum and his 'starry' ways.

What was it like playing a car racer? Did you undergo any special training?

It's extremely tough sitting in the car because there are no doors and once you are locked in, it's becomes difficult to breathe because of the heat and humidity.

I complained about this to a fellow driver. It might sound a bit filmi, but when he told me that if this is what I wanted to do, I should just do it, I realised I indeed wanted to do this. From that moment, I stopped feeling claustrophobic.

I did not have any formal training and it was a lot of fun, though at times I felt like I was trapped in a metal coffin.

It can get pretty intense with lack of air, black smoke blowing on your face and the pressure from the G-force when you are speeding along at 150 miles an hour. I've never driven that fast ever, and the effect was almost crushing. I mean, all the instruments are crooked on the panel because your head is constantly crooked!

ar
Ultimate Contributor
Ultimate Contributor

Post by ar » Apr 27, 2007

What was it like working with Rani Mukerji again after Hum Tum?

I think chemistry has got nothing to do with your intentions or how you feel. Like there are many real life lovers who don't have chemistry on screen, there are people who don't even know each other that set the screen on fire.

I agree, I have great screen chemistry with Rani. I was watching Hum Tum the other day and I just think it's a magical movie in parts.

I think she's a phenomenal actor and brings something special to the screen for which I respect her a lot. It is competitive for me to be working with her because I want to be better than her. She is so good and I guess that makes it a healthy working relationship.

And the kids?

They say it can be quite scary working with kids but they were more professional than most actors I have worked with and as efficient as machines!

They got it right the first time and they were so committed.

I remember the day I wanted to bunk shooting because I had fever. One of the kids, Ali Haji was also ill that day. But he continued to shoot. I waited for him to go home so that I too could go home. Then Siddharth Anand (director) told me how could I go home while this kid is still shooting and that was a lesson to me.

I enjoyed working through my illness and I felt like I had given something and achieved something special. We worked in the rain, wind and the cold and it was fun. To top it all, they were good actors and brought a lot of purity and spirituality to the project.

ar
Ultimate Contributor
Ultimate Contributor

What was it is working like Siddharth Anand?

Siddharth has really grown with this movie. Salaam Namaste is a very different kind of a film. This one was bigger. I have seen plenty of times on the sets that to get what you want, you pretty much have to do it yourself.

He would insist on a particular frame and tell the actors exactly how he wanted them to act. I have seen him tell even an experienced cameraman like Binod Pradhan how to move the camera.

It's wonderful when you have someone who is clear with what he wants.

Shah Rukh once said 'you don't even have to get the right script. Sometimes you just know what the director is like and what kind of films he makes and you just say okay and go with his conviction.'

And Siddharth is one such person I could do a film with, without hearing about the film itself. With others, I would want to hear what it's about first.

I think he has really come of age with this film. Action movies are really a test of a director and to have a family saga as the core is a big undertaking which I think he has managed to do pull off very well.

ar
Ultimate Contributor
Ultimate Contributor

What do you think about the music of Ta Ra Rum Pum?

Vishal and Shekar have tried to incorporate different kinds of musical influences and this is evident in each song. I prefer the music of Ta Ra Rum Pum to that of Salaam Namaste. My favourite tracks are Ab To Forever, Hey Shona and Saiyyan Re.

What we needed now is to push the envelope by incorporating music from around the world. We've got the singers, we've got the musicians and all we need is a little more imagination.

Your thoughts on the huge range of merchandise for this film?

Films are huge in our culture and country, and children are it's massive audience. My son Ibrahim wanted to buy a Krrish doll because he thinks Krrish is cool.

I think merchandising is cool. Hollywood does it with Spiderman and Batman, so why not us? But in order for merchandising to make sense, the films must create an icon, so it all starts with the movie.

ar
Ultimate Contributor
Ultimate Contributor

Any memorable incidents you would like to share with us?

There was this incident at the hotel I checked in, which was on Highway 1 and in the middle of nowhere, opposite a cemetery. The room didn't have windows and I really wanted to smoke. So, I got them to make me a window which was quite sweet of them to do. I had to go to Kmart which was the only shop down the road to get the window. It was quite a 'starry' thing to do and now they call it the 'presidential suite'!

Have you ever interacted with any international car racers?

Not really but I have met a few NASCAR racers. They seem like normal guys, except for the fact that they are really crazy.

Do you like sports? What kind do you enjoy?

Cricket. I love watching football. I play squash, cricket and hockey.

ar
Ultimate Contributor
Ultimate Contributor

What's your take on Ta Ra Rum Pum?

I believe films are about treatments -- the simpler the story the better it is. It should not be very complicated. This is a very personal story about a rise and a fall and the rise after that. It's every man's story and every family's story.

It's about dealing with tough times. It's about redemption. It's about seeing the beauty in your life when you're happy and not so happy. It's about dealing with things a certain way and them turning out exactly the opposite.

If you have the right people and you can laugh through all the ups and downs, then you are a winner. And that's what our film is all about.

Courtest: Rediff.com

Return to “Hollywood, Bollywood Gossips - Celebrities Xposed”