Home Computer & Gadgets | Automobiles | Sports | Audio Visual Entertainment | Fashion & Jewelry | Love n Dating
  Technology Art, Design & Paintings | Funny/Strange Pictures | Celebrities Xposed | Humor, Jokes, Riddles | Astrology
  Mobile Health & Fitness | Recipe Corner | Travel Tourism | Mobile Phone Reviews | Sms Collection | The Music Mania
Inspirational  Latest Topics   Chat   RegisterRegister   Log inLog in Search Forum

Top 5 Most Addictive Foods

Goto Previous Topic   Goto Next Topic  
Preshay
Ultimate Contributor
Ultimate Contributor

PostPosted: Jul 01, 2011   Topic Views : 4316   Post subject: Top 5 Most Addictive Foods Reply with quote

While we all know about the dangers of alcohol, drugs and cigarettes,did you know that you could become addicted to your favourite food?From withdrawal symptoms to changes in brain chemistry, our snacks have surprising ways of keeping us wanting more.Here is our guide to five of the world’s most addictive foods.

Chocolate

Many people claim to be chocoholics, but can you really be addicted to chocolate? The answer is... perhaps. One reason many people feel "addicted" to chocolate is that the food's chemical compounds (including theobromine, phenyethylamine, anandamide and tryptophan) actually have pleasure-inducing effects that can mimic the effects of drugs on the brain. Chocolate also contains alkaloids (tetrahydro-beta-carbolines) which are present in alcohol and have been linked to alcoholism.

However - before you go booking yourself into Chocoholics Anonymous - it is important to note that many researchers have pointed out that the chemicals in chocolate also exist in other foods which most of us do not crave. It has also been suggested that the chemicals in chocolate are not in high enough doses to lead to addiction. Regardless, it is impossible to deny that chocolate is one of the world's most-craved foods - whether this is due to psychological reasons or a physical addiction.

Cheese

From pizzas to cheeseburgers, cheese is a staple of many widely-craved junk foods, but there could be more to our cravings than we think. Various studies have discovered the presence of opiates -
including the highly addictive morphine - in the popular dairy product. While the amounts of morphine in cheese are very small and probably not enough to cause addiction, some researchers have expressed concern about its levels of casein (the main protein in cheese) which produces morphine-like opiate compounds called casomorphins during digestion. On top of this, cheese also contains phenylethylamine, a substance with stimulant effects which is thought to give consumers a natural "high", and which is reputed to have addictive qualities.

Sugar

We all know that sugar is bad for our health but, according to numerous studies, it can also be addictive. Studies have suggested that when we eat sugar, chemicals called opioids are released by the brain, which leads to an intense feeling of pleasure. It is this feeling that people may crave in the absence of sugar.

A study by psychologists at Princeton University investigated sugar addiction by studying its effect on rats. They discovered that after rats were fed a diet high in sugar, they experienced symptoms
similar to those produced by drug withdrawal when the sugar was withdrawn, including shaking and changes in brain chemistry. The study therefore concluded what other researchers have also suggested; that it is possible to become severely dependent on sugar

Burgers and other

Numerous researchers and studies have suggested that fatty, processed junk food such as burgers may actually be addictive. According to Professor David Kessler - an ex-commissioner of the US Food and Drug Administration and author of The End of Overeating - the combination of fat, salt and sugar in junk food triggers our "bliss point" and leaves us wanting more.

Scientists at the Scripps Research Institute in Florida backed up this theory with a study which found that the addictive responses in the brains of rats when fed junk food including fatty meats were the
same as in those that consume cocaine or heroin. On top of this, meat - like chocolate, cheese and sugar - releases opiate-like substances during digestion which some studies have suggested
can leave us craving more.

Coffee

Many feel that they can't start the day without a cup of coffee and people often joke about having a caffeine "addiction", however this may not be far from the truth. Although there has been much debate over the years about whether or not caffeine is genuinely addictive, it is difficult to deny that many of us crave it to the point where we feel we can't function without it.

One reason that people may crave caffeine so much is due to the fairly severe symptoms of caffeine withdrawal that people often face, ranging from fatigue and headaches to irritability
and depression. However, it may be that, rather than being physically dependent on caffeine, you are actually addicted to the belief that you can't function without your morning cup of coffee.
Whatever the reason, caffeine remains the world's most popular drug and a staple of many daily routines.
Edgerton
Wondering
Wondering

PostPosted: Aug 06, 2011     Post subject: Reply with quote

I have heard from several wise people that coffee is injurious to health.
But I strongly object on it as I take coffee several times a day and I guess I have been addicted to it. What do you think it is injurious for health?
justindellon
Just Born
Just Born

PostPosted: Aug 24, 2011     Post subject: Reply with quote

I coffee taken in excess then definitely it will be injurious to healthy.You can drink it one or twice day.Anything that is taken is excess is injurious to health.
Mudassir
Ultimate Contributor
Ultimate Contributor

PostPosted: Aug 26, 2011     Post subject: Reply with quote

nyc shearing
Kollen
Just Born
Just Born

PostPosted: Sep 09, 2011     Post subject: Reply with quote

No doubt that it is a nice post. Well i don't think so that coffee is not good for health. IO also like to drink coffee regularly. Coffee is good but we should drink it in a normal quantity. Anyway thanks for the wonderful post.
Pearl
Ultimate Contributor
Ultimate Contributor

nice work dear
Pearl
Ultimate Contributor
Ultimate Contributor

Edgerton wrote:
I have heard from several wise people that coffee is injurious to health.
But I strongly object on it as I take coffee several times a day and I guess I have been addicted to it. What do you think it is injurious for health?

too much use of coffee is injurious to health.
it cause to in increse ur body tamprature peaple should avoid id who has high body tamprature.
on the other hand its good for heath a cup to coffee is more good then a cup of tea.
the think that too much use of any thing is bad.
ujala
Ultimate Contributor
Ultimate Contributor

PostPosted: Oct 03, 2011     Post subject: Reply with quote

Wawoooooooooo Marvelous info buddy
johnssimpsons
Just Born
Just Born

PostPosted: Nov 25, 2011     Post subject: Reply with quote

There are top 5 most addictive foods
1. Coffee
2. Tea
3. Chocolate
4. Chicken
5. Burger
amit_sharma
Beginner
Beginner

PostPosted: Dec 30, 2011     Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice sharing.....
Page 1 of 2
Quick Reply
Message body:

Add smilies

Here You can
Download files

Top 5 Most Viewed Topics : Last 120 Days
Homemade Mosquito Trap
Nestle Iron Man Project - Food Replicator
Best Ways To Improve Your Sleep
How to Survive A Heart Attack When You Are Alone
Facial Fitness PAO - Exercise For Your Facial Muscles
5 Latest Topics in this Forum
Mobile Gym Introduced By InForm Fitness
Facial Fitness PAO - Exercise For Your Facial Muscles
Best Ways To Improve Your Sleep
Homemade Mosquito Trap
Benefits of Blood Donation - Be The Life Saver

Top Favourite Posts

Casio G’zOne W62CA Mobile Phone

Dell Studio Hybrid Mini Desktop PC

Casio G'zOne Boulder Phone
Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Terms & Conditions | Contact us | FAQ| Friend Sites | Powered by phpBB